Sunday, April 24, 2011

My first steak on the Big Green Egg

Unfortunately I was too wrapped up in searing my first steak that I forgot to take pictures.

There was a sale on dry aged rib eyes at the local grocery store (Byerly's). They always have the best meat when it's on sale and affordable.

I picked up 4 Choice rib-eyes a little less then a pound each. Took the meat out of the fridge about an hour in advance to let everything get to room temperature.

I decided to use the simple technique recommended on the Big Green Egg web-site for rib-eyes. Set the egg up to 650 degrees for a nice hot sear. I was amazed at how fast the egg was able to get up to that temperature (about 20 minutes with two starter cubes).

When everything was ready I put the steaks on closed the lid and waited 2 minutes. Flipped the steaks over for another 2 minutes. One more flip and closed the top and bottom air vents and let the steaks "cook" for another 2 minutes. That was it. Pulled them off, let them sit for 5 minutes and they were ready to go..

The steaks tasted wonderful.. with the exception of that was thinner then the others, it cooked to a more medium-well, which is too cooked for my liking, but nobody complained.

Lessons Learned: What the thickness of the steaks.. This one seems obvious after the fact, I should have caught it before hand, but I didn't. Also don't get so caught up in the cooking that you forget to take pictures..

Next up: Boneless Leg of Lamb for Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment