Friday, April 22, 2011

First attempt at Ribs

Ribs have traditionally been my nemesis. I've tried them a few times on a weber kettle and a charbroil offset smoker with just no luck.

For this attempt I used a recipe Weber sent me for a caribbean inspired flavor. The rub was a combination of Salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. The ribs were from Costco (again). I learned a lesson here, after working at it for 10 minutes to take of the membrane, turns out it was already removed.. Who knew.. A quick google search confirmed that is often the case.

Coated the ribs in the rub and put on the V rack I grabbed from Amazon and let sit for a hour.



I set up the Big Green Egg with the plate setter legs up, added two handfuls of soaked apple wood chips and fired it up to 300 degrees. Once the egg was ready, I put the v rack of ribs not the egg. Closed the top and didn't touch it for 3 hours.

While the ribs were cooking I made the glaze. The recipe called for guava preserves, but being in minnesota I had a hard time finding them. The alternative was apricot preserves, which seemed to work fine. Mixed with ketchup, garlic, ginger, 1 habanero and mixed over heat.

When the 3 hours were up the ribs looked perfect. I pulled them off, pulled the plate setter off and heated the egg up a little. Added glaze to the ribs and put back on the egg for a quick sear to add crunch.


After a quick fired sear, they were ready to go.

These ribs were by far my best attempt at the ribs. I can't wait to do it again. They were so tender almost fall off the bone, but not quite. Didn't need a knife at all to separate out portions. They were a tad bit salty for my taste, still fantastic.


Lessons Learned: Costco Ribs often already have the membrane removed. Guava preserves is really hard to find (at least in Minnesota) and look at going a little easier on the salt.

Still can't wait for my next round of ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment