Sunday, September 4, 2011

Big Green Egg Gasket Replacement

Boy where has the summer gone.. I've been very lax in posting on here..

A few months ago I replaced the gasket on the green egg. During a pizza bake I managed to bake the gasket as well..

I went with a Nomex Gasket that I purchased on Amazon.

I'd rate this as a fairly easy exercise, but it takes some diligence and patience. Total elapsed time was about an hour.

Some pictures:

Gasket before replacement:

I put down some paper bags to make sure the gunk from the old gasket didn't get everywhere:

I took my time and slowly scraped the old gasket off with a putty knife.. going over it three or four times.

I then cleaned the edges with acetone:

Once the edges of the egg were all dried I cut the new gasket in half. Pulled back and edge and slowly ran it around egg pushing down and peeling the backing off as I went.

Here's a picture with the new gasket installed:

Couldn't have been happier with the results. It performs just as I'd hope, I've done multiple high temp pizzas with no issue.



1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the post. I replace my gasket with a Nomex too. It's been two years and I'm still cooking!

    ReplyDelete