Sunday, May 1, 2011

Himalayan Salt Block Salmon

For Christmas this year my sister in law gave me a Himalayan Salt Block. Having not known quite what to do with it, I saw this post over on Big T's Big Green Egg Recipe Blog and figured now is as good as any to give it a try.

I picked up some fresh Norwegian Salmon at Byerly's and gave it a go. I also had some seafood rub from flavor foundations in the cabinet (also a christmas gift from someone) that I had not given a try to yet, so I pulled that out as well. In general I normally use Paul Prudomme's Salmon magic seasoning and love it, so this was a nice diversion.


I put the salt block on Big Green Egg and fired up it up without the plate setter in place. While the egg was heating I cut the salmon filet into two pieces and liberally covered them in rub. Once the thermometer told me the salt block had heated up to 350, I basted on a little EVOO and placed the two filets on the salt block.

I checked back in at 10 minutes, but the filets were not done enough to my liking (I like my salmon medium). Checking every 3 minutes, it turns out they needed another 6 minutes for a total of 16 minutes.

Plated with some Spinach and rice and we were ready to go. The salmon was very juicy and tasty. How much can I attribute to the rub vs. the salt block is anyone's guess. Either way, the meal was a hit. Maybe next time I'll do some with the salt block and some without to see if there is a taste difference.


Lessons Learned: My pieces of Salmon were thicker then the recipe pictures, so I should have adjusted for the longer cooking time. But no harm, no foul on this eggventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment