Wednesday, May 11, 2011

First Attempt at Pizza on the Big Green Egg

I decided to buy myself an early birthday present and get a pizza stone for the big green egg from the BGE company.

I've always struggled with making my own pizza dough, so I decided to buy it from Byerly's and use their version. I purchased 3 balls of dough, some sauce, fresh mozzarella and a handful of toppings from the salad bar.

Ingredients we used (not all on one Pizza):
Spinach
Arugula
Prosciutto
Chicken
Bacon
Fresh Mozzarella


I put the plate setter in legs down with the pizza stone on top. And fired up the egg with both vents open all the way.
Once the egg was up to 700 degrees it was time to start making pizza. We made sure to put corn meal down on the pizza peel so the pizza would slide off easier.
After 3 minutes the pizza was ready and nicely crisped.
Round 1 and 2 of the pizza came out really well, but the third one unfortunately was left on a little too long and ended up with a burnt bottom.
With the high heat I may have ruined the gasket, but it's too early to tell. The previously soft felt gasket is now much harder. Being new to the egg, I don't know if I'll have to replace it or if this is just more "seasoning". Only time will tell as I do some form of smoking and see what type of "leakage" I have.

Overall the Pizza stone worked great. On 2 out of 3 pizza's the crust was nice and crisp, yet soft on the inside. I'm chalking it up to user error on the last pizza's burning.

Lessons Learned: With the variability of success with the different rounds of Pizza I learned I need to formally time the pizza's instead of going on feel. In the 700+ degree range the pizza took about 3 minutes. Next time I will have a timer handy. Also learned to be careful with the high heats, it turns out it's pretty easy to do some work on the gaskets. Too early to tell if there is an issue with the gaskets or not, but only time will tell.

Next Up: Dry Aged Sirloin Steaks at a high temperature quick cook.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why BGE uses that lame wool gasket. Mine burned off after a couple of pizza cooks. I replaced it with a Nomex gasket, works great and hasn't burned yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish is perfect for this cold weather we are having. Delish!

    Pizza Equipment

    ReplyDelete