Friday, May 20, 2011

Aged Sirloin Steak Hot Seer

The local Byerly's had a nice sale on dry aged sirloin steaks, so no better time then the present to cook up a couple of steaks.

The thick steaks were weighing in at around 1.75 pounds, so for this exercise I cut them into two before I even started preparing them. I also thought this was as good as time as any to try the new potato rack I recently bought. For the potatoes I just coated them in a little corse salt, placed on the rack and put on the green egg as it was coming up to temperature. Once the Egg reached 400 degrees I stopped it there and cooked the potatoes for 30 minutes.


For the steaks I prepared them with a simple montreal steak rub from McCormicks. I know it's a boring store bought rub, but for simplicity, it delivers a good enough flavor for me.


Once the potatoes were done (30 minutes at 400), I pulled them off and opened up both of the vents on the egg to get it up to 700 plus degrees to get the big green egg nice and hot.





I used the 2-2-2 method of cooking. 2 minutes on one side, flip. 2 minutes on the other side, flip. Turn the egg off and let sit for on the big green egg for 2 minutes. This creates a nice char on both sides and cooks the inside just enough to be medium rare (after a 5 minute rest on the counter as well).


The potatoes and steaks turned out very well. Tasty as usual. The sirloin was cooking just to my likely and had plenty of flavor.


The rack worked well in terms of holding the potatoes. I'm not sure if it delivered much value in terms of helping the potato cook. I'll have to do a side by side sometime with and without the rack to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Lessons Learned: Don't try and pick up a hot potato rack with your heat resistant meat gloves. They are apparently not made for 400 degree plus heat.

Up Next: Ribfest.. 6 racks of ribs, 6 rub/sauce combos. Trying to pick my favorite go to rib sauce/spice rub combo. Will be interesting..

No comments:

Post a Comment